This Caribbean girl is one half of the design team CUSHNIE ET OCHS– the cut and the color does it every time for me! She inspires me to cut more and go lighter with the color…something to look forward to in the summer…
I can finally say that I have had my sofa for one complete year and I am still happy with this purchase. I was very skeptical- as I’ve mentioned before–but it really is the perfect piece for a family room–let alone any room in your house where you will have lots of entertaining. It’s easy to clean, freshen up and appear new again! I also love the aesthetic on this piece–the dark blue is quite luscious. I hope some of you are able to take advantage of the sale. tm2
Amazing what a cut can do to your life! I feel so brand new with the cut that I wear the older items in my closet a different way. I was so hesitant to do it earlier in the summer, but I’m realizing that overthinking is just another form of fear. Through prayer, I was able to release that fear and move forward and I’m so happy that I did! I have been natural for 10 years, and although I did a mini-chop in the early natural days, I have never just deliberately went this far with my cut. I have done everything you can imagine in those ten years–flat twists, straw set, afro, etc. Yet, to date – I feel the most attached to this cut and style because it was mainly my creation. After getting it cut initially at the salon, I came home, washed my hair and chopped it up some more. I didn’t feel the look that I left the salon with was me, and I’m so happy that I took the time to recreate the look that worked best for me instead of panicking. This cut is everything that I wanted – easy, edgy, but at the same time, professional. With a busy life, and two little ones..I didn’t want to compromise on any of my three requirements. The cut has now afforded me other opportunities, like hair modeling and such–and whatever the universe brings my way. tm2
I subscribe to the idea that you need to take a probiotic daily! I learned the hard way many years ago while working on Capitol Hill–but now I offer this piece of unsolicited advice to anyone who will listen! My consultation with Kimberly Snyder a few years ago introduced me to the world of probiotics – a supplement that will help you build your good gut bacteria, which often loose in our anti-biotics society. Research documented in a recent issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association found that probiotics were particularly useful against a common gastrointestinal problem: antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD), but studies show that probiotics can help with a great deal more — warding off infection and boosting immune systems, as well as helping to improve women’s health and perhaps even fighting obesity. I have recommended probiotics to everyone–sorority sisters, mother-in-law, and colleagues–and all of them have come back with positive reviews. Everything from female problems to a recurring infection were addressed. I am no doctor, but I know that we all need a heavy dose of good bacteria to survive in this new world of medicine.Last week, Kimberly introduced her new product, Probiotic+, and I couldn’t wait to put in my order. A colleague of mine couldn’t wait either, and went in with me on the order. I haven’t received the shipment yet, but I look forward to bringing you periodic updates on the supplement. For now, take time to read about the new Probiotics+.
Last Sunday, I had the opportunity to model for the It’sYours Product Launching, hosted by Jonna of Naturally Glam, at the Metamorphosis boutique in Silver Spring (right next door to Whole Foods). I had a great time debuting my new haircut and showing off the textured crop I was able to achieve with the ItsYours Twist and Curl cream. It gives me just enough hold and texture without being too hard and over-drying. I was very pleased with the results and was happy to showcase my hair at the event. The event also had a wonderful panel discussing the ever-evolving topic of African-American hair and our misconceptions of what is “healthy”. Everyone was happy to go home with grab bags – which included samples of ItsYours products! Check out their site and see if it works for you–worked quite well on my 4b/4c hair! tm2
- Mid-Century Modern Credenza – I have been craving one for a long time, but I didn’t want to pay a ridiculous amount for it. I was lucky enough to come across the Off Main consignment shop in Maryland. They has very well priced credenzas–picked mine up for about $200. It doesn’t hurt that me and the owner share the same first name.
- CB2 Hopscotch Rug – I love the dark gray color and can actually see myself jumping on it like that little girl in Brooklyn years ago. In all serious, I see this in my son’s room. He’s six years old and out of the baby boy stage–this has just the right amount of childish and big-boy sophistication for me.
- Vintage Fluted Mid-Century Modern Brass Bowl – I have been eying quite a few of these on etsy for awhile…they seem to always be on there–which was my hint to just go ahead and purchase it! And I did just that!
- Ikea Sheepskin Rug – I need at least 3 of these in the house at any given time…’nuff said.
- Anthropologie Pyrenean Lounge Chair – Just the perfect side chair that I need in my living room and family room…with the Ikea Sheepskin Rug sitting on top of it, of course.
- Rebecca Atwood Grid Shibori Pillow – I recently discovered this textile designer and love her stuff. She gets extra bonus points being that she’s also based in Brooklyn and all of her items are created in NYC. She is currently a contestant in the Martha Steward contest–I actually go vote for her 5x a day.
- Leopard Pillow – Naturally, I would have some leopard in my home, as I have quite a few pieces in my closet!